July 03, 2015

URBAN DECAY NAKED 1 PALETTE REVIEW




From left to right: Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck and Half Baked
From left to right: Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle, Creep and Gunmetal
Since the latest addition to the Naked Palette collection, the 'Naked Smoky' palette, is being released in a few days, I thought I would review my favourite palette out of the 3 main Naked palettes, the Naked 1 Palette. I own all three main Naked palettes plus the two Naked Basics palettes, and the Naked 1 palette is definitely my most used out of them. Even though it was the last Naked palette I bought, it quickly became my favourite due to the vast selection of shades that suit both my green eyes and pale skin. 

There are twelve eyeshadows in the Naked 1 palette, ranging from very neutral, everyday shades to darker, smokier shades which are perfect for a smokey eye. Most of the eyeshadows in this palette are shimmery, with only 2 proper matte shadows, so if you prefer matte shadows I would recommend the Naked Basics palettes, which are only matte shadows. The eyeshadows in this palette amazing quality; they are very pigmented and there is no fallout when putting them on, even the darker shades. I don't know how long they would last on the eyelids alone, as before wearing any eyeshadows, I prime my really oily eyelids with the NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base. With the NARS primer however, they last a good 8-10 hours on my eyelids without any noticeable creasing.

Another great thing about this palette is how versatile it is; there are so many eye looks available using only this palette, from a soft, day look to a heavy smokey nighttime look. This is also a great palette to bring when travelling, as you have nearly all of the shades you would need in one palette. The only downside is the packaging, as since the Naked 1 palette doesn't have the metal case with the clasp closure the newer Naked palettes have, it doesn't close very securely so I would make sure to wrap it up in a plastic bag and wrap it with clothes in my luggage to prevent it from breaking. The brush that comes with this palette also isn't great, as Urban Decay replaced the old eyeshadow brush that came with it with a newer double sided brush that is pretty awful.

I love this palette and whenever I am not sure what eyeshadow I want to use I will turn to this palette. My favourite eye look using this palette is putting the shade 'Naked' all over my lid, and then popping the shade 'Buck' into the crease and blending it out. This creates a soft smokey eye that gives definition but isn't too noticeable or harsh, perfect for everyday makeup. Another one of my favourite looks is putting 'Sin' all over my eyelid, and putting a tiny amount of 'Toasted' into the outer corners and the crease. This look may sound very shimmery, but in reality it is not, as once 'Toasted' is blended out, it loses a lot of the shimmer that was present.

I would recommend this palette to people of all ages and skin tones. It is perfect for both beginners in makeup and those who are makeup junkies, as the shadows are amazing quality and the shade range is fantastic.